Archive for the ‘Ask The Experts’ Category
We are very much looking forward to our Kate McDonald Bridal and LulaKate bridesmaids trunk show February 26-28! In anticipation, we asked Owner and Designer Katherine McDonald a few questions in regards to her fabulous collections.
~ ~ ~
1. What made you decide to separate the Kate McDonald bridal collection as its own brand separate from LulaKate?
I wanted the bridal gowns and little white dresses to have their own identity. LulaKate is known for fun dresses in bright colors. I wanted the bridal gowns to be known for elegance, details and romance. I thought it was important for the two brands to have different looks since essentially they are different customers. Bridal is all about romance and love and bridesmaids should be about celebration and happiness for your friend (the bride).
2. How would you describe the aesthetic of your Kate McDonald Bridal collection?
Romantic with a touch of whimsy.
3. Where do you find inspiration for your designs?
I love old movies, old fashion photographs, fashion icons.
4. What is the inspiration behind your 2015 collection?
When we found the hand-painted fabric that we used for the McLeod dress, we starting putting all of the other fabrics and details in place. We selected other complimentary fabrics like the ones used for the Alston and Drayton. We also wanted another show-stopper piece so we redesigned the Beatrice to make her more dramatic and just as stunning as the McLeod.
5. Do you have a favorite gown in the collection?
McLeod – but the Waring is a close second. I love how the Waring’s train “floats” behind the bride as she is making her entrance down the aisle.
Here are some beauties we love from the bridal collection that will be here for the trunk show:
Join us for our Kate McDonald Bridal and LulaKate trunk show February 26th to the 28th by giving us a ring at 860.669.4596 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. This will be your last chance to take advantage of LulaKate’s 20% off sale on all bridesmaid dresses in any color or fabric!
Can’t get enough of LulaKate? Check out this photo shoot The White Dress by the shoreowner Beth Chapman recently styled for Style Me Pretty.
1. Experienced Shoppers Only
Sample sales are not recommended for brides who have not shopped for gowns before. The point of a sample sale is to find the gown of your dreams at a bargain price! If you have never tried on gowns before, it is not possible to know what silhouette will flatter your figure. Sample sales are often overwhelming, and your first bridal shopping experience should be relaxed and shared with those closest to you. We highly recommend a regular appointment for first time shoppers.
2. Sample Sizes Are Not Universal
Generally, sample sizes are 8’s and 10’s and are made for a B cup. If you are under 5’5″ or over 5’11” and are larger than a C cup, it is not recommended that you shop at a sample sale. We are able to customize our full price gowns for our brides to accommodate all shapes and sizes. If you are petite, well-endowed or have some other specific size requirement, it is recommended that you schedule an appointment during our regular business hours.
We do have a limited selection of gowns over a size 10 available at the sale. Check out our sample sale page for availability!
3. Bring Your Decision Makers
Sample sales are for serious shoppers and brides who are ready to buy! During a sample sale, you will need to make a decision very quickly. It is recommended that you bring 1-2 individuals whose opinions matter to you the most and who can aid you in selecting your perfect gown.
4. Do Your Research
An educated bride is our favorite bride! Before coming to the sale, be sure that you have tried on gowns and know the specific silhouettes and details that flatter you. Check out our sample sale page and have a list of the gowns that you would like to try on. Please note that not all sale gowns are listed on the site. Research our designers and know which ones you will target first.
Please remember that a sample sale environment is quite different than a regular shopping experience with us. Be ready to share dressing rooms, make fast decisions and to have fun! And make sure you bring a strapless bra and heels with you to the sale!
Get ready for a bargain, ladies!
*Image courtesy of Steve DePino
Over the next several months, we will be hosting a variety of trunk shows! And lately, we have been receiving a lot of questions about what a trunk show actually is. Fortunately, owner Beth Chapman has the answer! Scroll below to read her article “Tackling Trunk Shows,” which has been featured on numerous blogs and in various publications!
Trunk shows can provide the perfect opportunity for a bride to find the gown of her dreams. But what is a trunk show, and what are the benefits for the bride to be?
Beth Chapman, owner of The White Dress by the shore, an upscale bridal boutique located in Clinton, provides this explanation: “A trunk show is an event hosted by a bridal boutique where a broader representation of a designer’s collection is sent to the store.” According to Chapman, “There is often a representative from the company present or in some instances the designer themselves attend the event. There is almost always some type of discount or special offer that is provided during the course of the trunk show if a purchase is made at the event.”
Store owners are generally not able to purchase a designer’s entire collection. A trunk show allows an extended version of the collection to be sent to the store, and oftentimes, designers will send new styles to the event that are not yet available in stores. One of the primary benefits for a bride is that she is able to work directly with the designer or company representative to learn about the intricacies of the line and make custom changes to create her own, one-of-a-kind gown. Notes Chapman, “We recently hosted a Modern Trousseau trunk show and customized almost every gown we sold. Trunk shows are the perfect opportunity for a bride to work with a designer to create her dream gown.”
The designer benefits from the trunk show as well. They are able to watch brides try on their gowns and listen to their comments. It is an excellent opportunity for them to get direct feedback from brides that they can apply to future collections.
Generally there is a discount or special offer associated with a trunk show. It is commonplace for a bridal store to offer a 10% discount during a bridal gown trunk show. Chapman notes, Trunk shows are not recommended for a first-time shopping experience. In order for a bride to fully benefit from a trunk show, they should come into it knowing the types of silhouette that they are looking for. Having this knowledge will allow them to receive the benefit of the discount and the opportunity to work with the designer to customize their gown.”
A trunk show is an excellent time to purchase your gown. If there is a particular designer that you are interested in, a trunk show will allow you to see the full breadth of the designer’s line and allow you to purchase one of their gowns while receiving a discount or special offer. But, be sure to book an appointment early. These exclusive events book up quickly!
Check out our Events page to view the upcoming trunk shows! If you are interested in attending one, give us a ring to make your appointment!
This year’s Golden Globes Red Carpet provided so much inspiration for the white aisle! Many of the looks were easily translatable to bridal! The outstanding trends of the evening were metallics, white and classic silhouettes. Below is a recap of our favorite looks:
Dakota Johnson in Chanel
Diane Kruger in Emilia Wickstead
Ellie Kemper in Naeem Kahn
Jennifer Lopez in Zuhair Murad
Julianne Moore in Givenchy
Reese Witherspoon in Calvin Klein
Of all of the white gowns that graced the carpet, these were our favorite!
Emily Blunt in Michael Kors
Kate Hudson in Versace
We are firm believers that classic NEVER goes out of style. These timeless silhouettes had us swooning!
Amal Clooney in Dior Haute Couture – the gloves were controversial, but they made the outfit for us!
Katherine Hiegel in Zac Posen
Felicity Jones in Christian Dior
Our all-time favorite looks of the evening are below. These are our vote for The Golden Globes Best Dressed:
Emma Stone in Lanvin- we adore a jumpsuit! This one was chic, youthful and had a bow! What could be better?!
Chrissy Tiegen (Mrs. John Legend) in Zuhair Murad- we adore the blush color and this incredible bead pattern. We would LOVE to see this look on a bride!
Until the Oscars!
images provided by: Getty Images, Vogue, E-online
Did he ‘put a ring on it’ over the holidays? Wondering what to do next?
Here is our suggested wedding preparation checklist involving many of the important, fashion-related steps as you begin your journey down the aisle. The White Dress by the shore is your one-stop destination for all of the following, so be sure to give us a ring at 860.669.4596, as we would be delighted to help you with every last detail.
For more information when beginning this process, be sure to check out owner Beth Chapman’s shopping tips.
‘Tis the season for gift giving. Whether you are searching for the perfect holiday gift or engagement gift, here are a few of our faves!
1. Aquinnah Jewelry | Brides love to accessorize, so why not treat them to a custom piece of jewelry? Designer Kelley Solomon creates one-of-a-kind necklaces, bracelets and earrings that can be worn during the big day or any other wedding-related event! Your friend will cherish her personalized accessory! (prices vary)
2. The White Dress in color | Give the gift of inspiration this holiday season! Whether it’s for a soon-to-be-wed friend or just your favorite wedding enthusiast, this book, co-written by owner Beth Chapman, is an absolute must-have! It’s full of gorgeous imagery and inspiration! We stock copies signed by the authors at the boutique and can ship the book to you or your loved one right away – for more information click here! ($45)
3. Pinch Provisions Minimergency Kits | What bride, mother or maid wouldn’t love to receive this stocking stuffer? Pinch Provisions Minimergency Kits contain 21 teeny-tiny essentials for the big day, including blotting tissues, antacids, breath freshener and more! What you don’t use on your wedding day can be thrown into your suitcase for the honeymoon! ($18)
4. White Carpet Gift Certificate | If you are shopping for a bride-to-be, this is the ultimate indulgence! This experience will provide her with a private, three-hour bridal appointment in our boutique, complete with nibbles, champagne, a bouquet in the colors of her wedding, a dedicated stylist and a photographer on hand to capture all of the special memories. To find out more about the White Carpet experience, click here! ($325)
5. Merci New York Clutch | Who doesn’t love sparkly arm candy? These gorgeous bags are the perfect accessory for any bride, be it at the wedding or a night out on the town! Merci New York’s python clutches are on everyone’s wish list! (Classic Gold Python Embossed Clutch $225)
6. Kate Spade Happily Ever After Sandals | If your almost-married friend is planning a beach honeymoon, these Kate Spade sandals are essential! The soles are imprinted with ‘happily’ and ‘ever after’ and leave imprints in the sand! ($68)
For more information or to purchase any of these gifts, give us a ring at 860.669.4596!